The Best Kids Music (That Won’t Drive You Crazy!)
I grew up listening to music. My mom would always have the radio on at home & in the car (either country or top 40), so I know all the words to songs like “Fancy” and basically anything by U2.
Now that I actually UNDERSTAND the words to those songs now, though, not to mention the “top 40” of our time, let’s just say I’m moving in another direction for music in our house. I love old hymns, and Emmy loves singing, so we’ve found a few great albums that we play on repeat in our home!
(Don’t get me wrong, we Shake It Off like nobody’s business!! But I also love hearing Emmy sing Amazing Grace more than I enjoy her singing about that Blank Space she’s got… You know?)
Let’s get honest for a second though and just say that some kids music is terrible. Right? I’m talking the kind that makes you want to voluntarily tear your ears off your head before you hear that Gummy Bear idiocy again. I think I speak for all of us when I say that our homes do not need any more of that kind of music.
So I thought I’d compile a list of our favorites – the best music we’ve found for kids that WON’T drive mom or dad insane!
Seeds Family Worship | Wee Sing Bible Songs & More Bible Songs |
Veggie Tales Favorite Sunday School Songs | Worship Jamz | Wow Hymns
1. Seeds Family Worship – Anything by Seeds Family Worship ranks at the top of my favorite list. This talented group has put together music that is enjoyable for parents and kids alike, AND it’s all Scripture!!! This is my favorite way to memorize Bible verses – for whatever reason I have the hardest time with memorizing stuff, but if it’s in a song, I’ve got it! There’s a whole collection of these CD’s, and I can’t recommend them highly enough!
2. Wee Sing Bible Songs & More Bible Songs – These songs are sung by kids and while they do have a tendency to get on your nerves after a while, it’s honestly a LONG while, because there are so many songs on these albums. There are 110 songs between the two albums, so that variety really mixes things up! Plus, these are just wonderful songs that you want your kids to know – The B-I-B-L-E, This Little Light Of Mine, and 108 more. These are favorites in our house.
3. Veggie Tales Favorite Sunday School Songs – Here you’ll find a lot of the same songs that you’ll find on the Wee Sing CD’s, but they are sung by BOB AND LARRY, you guys. Enough said. This album is just a ton of fun. (We also love these songs and these ones too!)
4. Worship Jamz – These songs were my favorite to play in the classroom when I taught third grade. They are contemporary Christian music made for kids ages… maybe 4-12? But I enjoyed them as an adult too! If you’re looking for more contemporary songs than older ones, Worship Jamz are pretty awesome. (And there’s a bunch of them!
5. Wow Hymns – This is the best collection I’ve found of hymns that are sung by contemporary artists, like Natalie Grant and Matthew West. I love that these are a combination of the old, traditional, RICH lyrics combined with the style of today’s music. These are perfect for the whole family!
Also, if you DO love current secular music, check out KidzBop. My hubby is a music teacher at a public school, and he uses KidzBop a bunch – it’s all current music that’s been cleaned up and is sung by kids. He says it’s generally pretty good, but obviously hasn’t listened to everything! But if you’re looking for something a little more mainstream, but on the cleaner side for little ears, KidzBop might be a good option for you!
What did I miss? What’s your favorite kids music??
Kayse is a wife, mom, and founder of the Anchored Women community. She writes to help women fight busy, find rest, and build a life that’s anchored in Christ. Kayse is also the creator of the S.O.S. Planner, the Anchored Life Kit, and other practical resources that equip women to manage their homes and families in confidence. You can find her writing and her resources at anchored-women.com!
We love the Slugs and Bugs CDs at our house, especially the Sing the Bible CDs. They help the kids (and me) learn Bible verses so we have God’s Word in our heart and on our lips all day long.
I know this is an older post, but I just found it on Pinterest. I’ll share a resource I love: The Children’s Songbook
There are a lot of basic fun kids songs (and it’s all free & searchable for topics) on https://www.lds.org/music/index/childrens-songbook/topic?lang=eng
I know it’s a different sect of Christianity, but these are universally basic. I loved them as a kid and my littles enjoy them too. Thanks for the list.
We also love Seeds! My son listens to one of their CD’s nearly every night as he falls asleep. we already have 2 Seeds albums and love them! Love that it’s music all of us can enjoy.
Great ,, Thanks for sharing
We love Slugs & Bugs, too, but our absolute favorites are from Sovereign Grace Music – “To Be Like Jesus”, “Awesome God”, “Walking with the Wise”, & “The Ology”. The Church at Brook Hills kids’ music is excellent, as well! If you’re looking for something more mellow, the Scripture Lullabies volumes are impossible to beat. The wonderful thing about all of these albums is that they are edifying for adults, too!
I haven’t heard of those – I’ll look them up! Thank you!
Never heard of seeds! Looking forward to checking it out!
OH! Those are great suggestions – you might want to check out Slugs and Bugs – GREAT original music. My kids love it – and my husband and I love them as well! http://www.slugsandbugs.com 🙂
Thanks for linking up with Tuesday Talk!
I had a bunch of Wee Sing tapes when I was a kid. I never thought to look for them on cd! We have that Veggie Tale cd and love it! Well, until the end of the 3hr drive and my husband had me go to the store and buy something else for the ride back home. lol.
At home, we do a lot of Pandora, both kid stations and a classic-ish country station (I refuse to call George Strait and Randy Travis classic because that makes me old).
(visiting from Frugal Friday)
Laurie Berkner – good action, running around songs. Abby really liked her music.
Randy Kaplan – some weird stuff but funny. Mike REALLY likes “No Nothing” by him. Some of the lyrics: “And he was climbing halfway up my window curtain
And he was reaching out with his paw
And his claw was treacherously close
To the Chagall lithograph I inherited from my grandma”
Can you see why he likes it? 😉
Trout Fishing in America (yes, that is the band’s name) “The Window”, “Proper Cup of Coffee”, “18 Wheels on a Big Rig”
Milkshake – Abby liked them starting when she was about 5.
Billy Jonas (no relation to the brothers) – “What kind of cat are you?”, “Knock Knock”
Barenaked Ladies has a kids album (might need to worry about explaining the band name…) “Crazy ABCs”
They Might Be Giants kids albums are fun. Slightly off the wall too. I like the ABC one. “Go for G!” and “E eats Everything”. They sing stuff for Disney, too – HigglyTown and MM Clubhouse
Would you like our old Wiggles CDs? You know, I really did enjoy their music. I liked they had a variety of styles of music and harmonies and that they did it well.
Slugs & Bugs is the best kids’ music. Every CD is great, but Sing the Bible is our very favorite!